- A riderless horse speeds tirelessly across the heavens, carrying an auspicious faceted jewel that radiates peace and harmony.
- The snapping of Prayer Flags in the wind evokes the sound of hooves of the Windhorse (Lung-Tha) galloping in the sky, riding the breezes and carrying prayers to the universe to benefit all sentient beings.
- Prayer Flags are printed from hand carved woodblocks in the traditional manner.
- Enjoy the slow fading of color as they hang in the elements. To dispose of old flags with respect, please burn them. Large cotton flags measure approx. 10" x 10", 20' long
- Please note that these are traditional prayer flags, they are "unfinished" and may arrive slightly frayed, and will become more frayed as the wind carries your prayers away. The idea is truly that the prayers are placed into the elements. They are to disintegrate over time and as they do their prayers fly into the wind and dissolve. The most appropriate thing to do when prayer flags have become faded and frayed is to burn them because they are prayers and this is the most respectful thing to do. Fair Trade allows artisans a fair wage to support their families. These flags are a cotton/poly blend.
Taraluna sells only Fair Trade Certified Prayer Flags. Information about the artisans from our Fair Trade Producer: Some prayer flags that are made by monks but for the most part prayer flags are made by Tamang families in Nepal. Tamang are an ethnic group in Nepal who practice Buddhism and have made these prayer flags for Tibetans for years. Ours are made by a Tamang family that lives near Swayambu in Kathmandu. They are a family that our manager Chunta knows in Nepal and she really wanted to help them out so has given them all of our business for many years. They have a nice sustainable business making these prayer flags for us. Each of the flags is either hand blockprinted by rolling ink onto a carved block, laying the fabric on them and then rolling a small roller over them or by silk screening. The sewing is done by one of the women of the family and is very simple and quick