Medium sized brass table top prayer wheel-5.25 inches high by 2.25 inches wide with colored glass “jewels”, colors may vary. This beautiful brass prayer wheel (complete with the prayer om mani padme hum inside) can sit beside you and allow you a great sense of peace as you spin the wheel throughout your day. Each spin of the wheel releases the prayer “oh praise to the jewel in the heart of the lotus” out into the world to bless all beings. Fair Trade, Hand Made. 5.25 x 2.25 in. One per order.
Fair Trade Artisans: Nepal Tibetan prayer wheels, or “Mani” wheels are devices for spreading spiritual blessings and well being. Rolls of thin paper, imprinted with many, many copies of the mantra (prayer) Om Mani Padme Hum, printed in an ancient Indian script or in Tibetan script, are wound around an axle in a protective container, and spun around and around. Typically, larger decorative versions of the syllables of the mantra are also carved on the outside cover of the wheel. The mantra Om Mani Padme Hum invokes the spiritual power and blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion. In the words of one source "Chenrezig is the awakened nature of each being's own mind, the love and compassion primordially present in the pure transcending awareness ... Chenrezig is within us because love and compassion are not qualities added to the mind," but are inherent in our true nature. Tibetan Buddhists believe that saying this mantra, out loud or silently to oneself, invokes the powerful benevolent attention and blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion. Visualizations and contemplations that can be done while spinning a prayer wheel include:
- Pray: "May all beings be happy. May all beings be free from suffering."
- Focus your thoughts on loving-kindness, equanimity, and the benefit of others, not oneself.
- Recite Om Mani Padme Hum, the mantra of loving kindness and compassion, while spinning the prayer wheel. This strengthens our mind and brings the optimal intention to the spiritual practice and increases the benefits to all sentient beings.
- Visualize light, bright like the sun, radiating out from the prayer wheel, illuminating you and purifying your negative thoughts, destroying your negative karma and diseases. Then, visualize the beams of light bringing happiness to all beings and relieving them of their sufferings.
- Focusing on a problem, like a war or tragedy, and spinning the prayer wheel to try and relieve the suffering of the people being harmed and hurt.